Verizon field techs get BlackBerry benefits
Verizon Partner Solutions, the wholesale arm of Verizon, is now equipping its 2200 field technicians with BlackBerry 8703e smartphones and reaping financial and customer satisfaction rewards in the process.
VPS is now the largest enterprise user of BlackBerrys worldwide, said Charles Henry, vice president of systems management for Verizon Partner Solutions, and it is believed to be the first telecom operator to use smartphones in this manner.
Previously, technicians carried laptop computers or used cellphones to keep in touch with customers, access information about installation and repair jobs and track job progress, Henry said. The VPS technicians now use the BlackBerrys to access the same internal systems but can do it more quickly and simply.
“The new devices are more compact and more portable, and they are always on – there is no boot-up time,” Henry said. “The techs like the ease of use, portability and having everything at the touch of your hand.”
A technician who is caught in traffic and running behind on a customer appointment can easily send a message to that customer and keep them constantly up-to-date on the expected arrival time, alleviating a common customer complaint, Henry said. Progress on the job can also easily be tracked and recorded.
In New York, where VPS field technicians weren’t using laptops, the introduction of BlackBerrys has enabled them to add an average of one extra job per 8-hour work shift, Henry said. Technicians also don’t have to lug around laptops and can instantly access needed information on the always-on smartphone.
To date, VPS techs haven’t lost any BlackBerrys, but the devices are security-encrypted to prevent loss of critical business information if a device is misplaced or stolen. Technicians typically require less than half a day of training to be up and running on the BlackBerry 8703s, and there haven’t been any complaints about the smaller screen size, Henry said.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now