Community features breathe new life into mobile games
Typically an unused wireless app, mobile games with a social slant are poised to take off
While traditional mobile games may not be as successful as other mobile staples like ringtones and wallpapers, it may be the case that a social slant was missing. Hawkins said Digital Chocolate has served more than 100 million free games trials this year, all of which include a mobile upsell button, and Cellufun claims to bring in five million unique users per month. Compare this to the relative success of the mobile version of online social networking giant Facebook, attracting more than five million users in less than one year, and its clear the intersection of games and social networking shows promise. With handsets like the iPhone and T-Mobile’s new Android-based G1 phone, the roadblocks of discoverability and a poor user experience are also being torn down. If gaming follows the trend of social networks and expands beyond just a small group of young, tech-savvy users, as these game developers hope, social mobile games could be poised to take off.
“The public response to the iPhone indicates a huge trend – it was really the first time the mass public got excited about a mobile computing platform as a content device,” Hawkins said. “It shows that whereas 100 million people want a hardcore game console like the PlayStation, the number that would like to have, and will have, a platform like the iPhone, is going to be measured in the billions. It will take the entire industry to supply this demand, just as it took an entire industry to supply the PC market after Apple established the archetypal ideas.”
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now