BroadSoft tries mashup contest route
BroadSoft today announced a contest aimed at encouraging developers to build voice "mashups" for its voice over IP platform.
BroadSoft has been building its developer story over the past few months, releasing an upgrade to its BroadWorks platform, building a developer marketplace and most recently releasing new, more Web-native RESTful interfaces to its platform.
The latest step is to go the mashup contest route, a path first blazed by vendors like Sylantro and Microsoft and carriers like British Telecom, with admittedly mixed results. In recent weeks and months, many of the early advocates of the Web mashup approach have back-tracked, though BroadSoft remains steadfast in its belief – and emboldened by its large base of telco licensees and end-user VoIP customers – that it can make the voice mashup approach work.
“What differentiates our program is that this isn’t just a simple set of APIs and a forum for developers to talk and chat,” said Mike Lauricella, director of marketing for BroadSoft’s Xtended platform. “We’ve got the customers and the marketplace to push these applications out to the forefront with real customers.”
The Xtended Voice Mashup Contest will run through September 2 and focus on applications that combine BroadWorks’ VoIP platform with other applications, including customer relationship management, business collaboration and social networking. Developers will compete for the top three prizes, valued at $15,500, $5,500 and $3,500. Winners will be announced at the popular Web 2.0 Expo, Sept. 16-19 in New York. Winners will also get to show their mashups to telco users at the BroadSoft Connections 2008 executive users conference, held in Phoenix, Arizona from Oct. 5-8.
“That’s the key opportunity for developers -- the ability to go out and promote their applications at Connections or on the Xtended marketplace,” Lauricella said.Rules and prize details for the Xtended Voice Mashup Contest can be found at http://developer.broadsoft.com/contest. The contest is free to enter.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now