Convergys acquires CEON to tackle telco PLM
"There are a number of things driving customeres to look at enterprise product catalogs," Champion said. "The biggest thing is simply competition, having to find a way to rollout products and services more quickly."
The main focus of telco PLM is to centralize the many pieces of new service development – including new product definition and modeling, the process of standardizing components into a published service catalog and defining the related configuration and provisioning pieces required to deliver a service to an actual customer. Centralizing and standardizing those processes helps “bring order to the chaotic product management process that is so inherent in carrier’s OSS and BSS environments,” said Yankee Group analyst Ari Banerjee in a statement analyzing the acquisition.
In a recent interview on the prospects for telco PLM, Banerjee said the key for service providers is “to look at other industries and put their manufacturing and product – or in this case service – assembly concepts into action, in particular a centralized point of control as well as more consistent product definitions and structures,” said Banerjee said.
In a report published this spring, Banerjee outlined the key ingredients for a successful telco PLM platform – which he believes is centered around a centralized “enterprise product catalog” -- including a centralized point of control spanning all BSS/OSS systems; different interfaces and process views for different stakeholders; support for the end-to-end product lifecycle; and more.
Ceon was founded in 1999 and is privately held. Its core product is called the Product Control Center and is focused on helping service providers manage and deploy layered product catalogs supporting extended service attributes, complex business rules, multi-user collaboration and more.The two companies began working together more closely in January with a strategic alliance. Convergys called today’s acquisitions “small but strategic.”
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now