ITXC moving to all-Cisco network
ITXC today said it has picked Cisco Systems’ AS5000 Universal Gateway and PGW 2200 Softswitch as the basis for its next-generation inter-carrier voice network.
The build out, which will eventually span the 175 countries that ITXC serves, has been going on for some time now and will continue on what ITXC Chairman and CEO Tom Evslin calls an opportunistic basis.
“If [the equipment] has to be touched for any reason, that’s a good reason to do the installation,” he said.
The move will replace Excel switches and VocalTec gateways with a single Cisco box at customer locations. However, Evslin said the company would continue supporting VocalTec gateways and would bring on additional customers with VocalTec equipment if needed. “We may end up with some islands of VocalTec forever,” he said.
For ITXC, the move to a single-vendor network is possible in part because interoperability between Cisco and other vendors has been established. It also costs less and will lead to a more reliable network, Evslin said.
“Many of our customers are starting to rely on us for all of their service for a given router depending on where they’re at in the telephony business,” he said. “We can deliver greater reliability if we only have equipment in our network from a single vendor. From a marketing and sales point of view what’s important is that we’re closer to the Cisco sales and marketing effort.”
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now