Metaswitch acquires Colibria with RCS in mind
Deal follows, complements Metaswitch's recent foray into the world of multimedia mobile apps
Metaswitch Networks has announced it is acquiring Norway-based vendor Colibria in a deal that matches both companies’ expertise in IMS and brings Metaswitch Rich Communication Suite (RCS) technology that will play an increasingly important role as carriers move to support more contextual call services and presence-based applications.
While RCS has not been much of a factor in the North America market yet, Colibria has deployed RCS applications like enhanced instant messaging, presence and network address book solutions to service providers in Northern Europe and elsewhere. Metaswitch recently made strides to support mobile carriers in launching new RCS-like services with the unveiling of its Thrutu in-call content sharing service at last month’s CTIA show, and both companies said Colibria’s technology will extend the concepts behind Thrutu into other future applications.
Metaswitch CEO Kevin DeNuccio said such applications will become increasingly important as carriers battle over-the-top mobile Internet players as new IP applications become a main battleground. “We are seeing one of the greatest infrastructure upheavals ever around the mobile Internet,” he said. “It’s greater in some respects than what we saw with the Internet, which only affected PCs. The mobile Internet upheaval is affecting more devices, and is happening over much less time. One of the key themes is how messaging and social networking are leading to the next generation of communications, and that’s what this acquisition targets.”
Colibria CEO Lars Myhrum said the deal will help his engineering-intensive firm gain broader marketing outlets, while Colibria’s RCS experience with international carriers like Sweden’s Telia can help operator customers of Metaswitch that “are focused on interoperability with global standards." Myhrum will become general manager for Metaswitch's presence in Norway, with responsibility for the ongoing development and evolution of the Colibria product line.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now