Dumping the swivel chair technique: Lumos to unveil new flow-through provisioning
Making it easier for back office personnel to provision new services is the goal of the Telecom Management Server that Lumos Technologies will announce at Supercomm this week.
Traditionally, workers have used multiple proprietary interfaces to provision individual pieces of access and optical equipment using what Conor Dowling, Lumos founder and CEO, calls the "swivel chair" approach.
Lumos has provided software interfaces for network element vendors and is now targeting service providers with its new offering, which aims to provide provisioning for multiple network elements through a Web-based or CORBA interface. On the network element side, the software supports transaction language 1 and simple network management protocol.
"Lumos' position is a little unique in that it comes at it from the equipment side," said Leif Hoglund, director of network management for RHK. "They're not looking at it from the customer viewpoint, but from a pragmatic viewpoint."
A product with the ability to do provisioning on the fly and talk directly to devices should be in great demand, said George Peabody, managing director of telecom research for The Aberdeen Group. "There's so many network devices to talk to, it's a good story. The issue is how well the front office systems integrate with back office systems to talk to their stuff."
The CORBA interface should enable the Lumos offering to support multiple service activation operations support systems, said Hoglund.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now