UBS: Verizon may add 1.1M fiber subs this year
Verizon Communications could add another roughly 1.1 million subscribers to its fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network this year, according to estimates made by UBS Investment Research.
Verizon hasn’t made subscriber growth projections for this year. In 2006, it projected serving 725,000 high-speed Internet subscribers over fiber and 175,000 television subscribers by the end of the year. It also projected passing a total of 6 million homes with its FTTP network by the end of last year, adding another 3 million more per year until 2010, when the network will pass 18 million premises. The company hasn’t said whether it achieved its goals for the end of 2006.
Verizon has said it intends to make a particular drive into multi-dwelling units (MDUs) this year, pointing out that about a fifth of its customers live in them. However, the company declines to quantify those plans.
A more aggressive push into MDUs is now possible thanks to new optical network terminals (ONTs) that serve multiple customers, a Verizon spokesman said. Verizon has completed lab testing of its vendors’ MDU ONTs--which were unavailable a year ago--and is “starting to apply” them, the spokesman said.
Verizon said it was testing MDU-centric ONTs as far back as the second half of 2005. Though the company had already been serving small MDUs with the same ONTs it deploys for single-family homes (MDUs with less than 10 units), the MDU-centric ONTs, offering a range of technologies such as Ethernet and VDSL to bring service to end users, were intended for larger MDUs with more than 10 units.
More useful resources from Telephony
Telephony's Network Security Webcast
Watch this Webcast to find out how you can prevent DDoS attacks, worms, botnets and other vicious infrastructure threats from crippling your operations. PLUS get access to the published service provider analysis --The Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report. Watch now.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now