MetroFi launches infrastructure services for municipalities
MetroFi, a Mountain View, Calif. company headed up by Covad Communications founder Chuck Haas, has launched its new Wireless Broadband Service for municipal network rollouts at the MuniWireless 2005 conference in San Francisco.
MetroFi already has partnered with Cupertino and Santa Clara, Calif., to deploy Wi-Fi access in these cities using vendor SkyPilot’s dual-band mesh networking architecture.
“We think that all cities will have ubiquitous Wi-Fi in the next five years or so," Haas, the CEO and co-founder of MetroFi, told Telephony recently. “You’ll see some municipalities that just want to get Wi-Fi out to their residents and businesses, and others that want it for their own government needs, but will then roll it out to residents—MetroFi can manage that part for them.”
For residential service, MetroFi is so far charging $19.95 per month or less for DSL-like speeds (about 1 Mb/s).
Haas founded MetroFi in 2002, after six years with Covad. “I think what we’re doing with MetroFi is better than slogging DSL in the face of telcos for those six years,” he said.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now