Alcatel names first GPON customer
Alcatel this week announced the first customer of the gigabit passive optical networking (GPON) equipment it unveiled in May.
A spokesman for the equipment vendor emphasized that the Kuwaiti government is the first “announced” customer of Alcatel’s 7342 ISAM GPON platform but could not say whether it was also the first customer to purchase the platform, which Alcatel originally said would be available in the second half of 2005.
Kuwait’s Ministry of Communications will deploy Alcatel’s GPON platform in 33 areas through 2007, where it will serve about 50,000 residential “plots,” Alcatel said. Though voice is a high priority in the first phase what the MOC calls its “Mega Light Project,” the ministry sees demand for video service to be initially nonexistent but increasing over time.
The MOC expects the project, which began a year ago with the deployment of Ethernet-based PON equipment, to ultimately connect up to 100,000 total “plots” within 10 years, including commercial and government locations. The MOC expects to use Alcatel’s GPON gear for 60% of the rollout.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now