Nortel describes 'deteriorating' scene
Nortel will also realign its corporate structure into three vertically integrated groups, two of which (its Metro Ethernet and Carrier Networks units) will serve carriers and one of which will serve enterprises. That realignment will require the departure of several senior executives, Zafirovski said, including Chief Technology Officer John Roese, Chief Marketing Officer Lauren Flaherty, global services head Dietmar Wendt and head of sales Bill Nelson.
“We’ll have significantly fewer functions at the corporate level,” he said.
The CEO declined to say much about the ongoing sale of Nortel’s Metro Ethernet business other than that the company was talking to interested parties about it and that he “wasn’t blind” to the potential of partnerships as well. Though Nortel has stated a preference to sell the business for cash, several analysts have noted that, in this climate, Nortel will have a tough time finding a buyer with the level of cash on hand that Nortel is likely to want. One analyst wrote last week that more than 30 potential acquirers had expressed interest in the assets, but the same analyst said Nortel may ultimately choose not to sell the business after all.Zafirovski also conceded that valuations of companies industry-wide had dropped since Nortel’s decision to sell the Metro Ethernet business and that the vendor is proceeding to discuss possible deals with “a smaller number of players.” Though Nortel announced only two months ago that it would sell that business, Zafirovski said today, “The world has changed since then.”
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now