XO launches cloud-based unified communications service
Offering includes diagnostic probe, targets companies with 50-1000 employees at multiple locations
A new offering from XO Communications, launched today, will extend the company’s unique pricing methodology to cloud-based unified communications, XO Communications Director of Product Management Eric Hyman told Connected Planet.
The company has had significant success with VoIP pricing based on connection bandwidth, rather than the number of voice-grade equivalent lines. The new UC offering, dubbed XO Enterprise Cloud Communications, uses the same approach—although there is a per-seat charge for certain UC features. Exact pricing will vary but “the average per-seat price will be roughly $50,” Hyman said.
Pricing includes the phone as part of the monthly expense. “We’re carrying the capital on our own books,” said Hyman. Customers also will have the option of choosing video-capable devices.
A management probe comes with the service
XO Enterprise Cloud Communications runs on the company’s MPLS-based Tier 1 backbone network.
“We provide class of service and a great deal of control,” Hyman said. “For every location we deploy, we deploy a monitoring probe.”
By using special software in combination with the probe, XO monitors traffic outside of the customer’s local area network. “If we have to troubleshoot, we can look at what happened to the packets and why [a problem] may have happened,” Hyman explained.
If a customer were to experience static on a call at a certain day and time, XO would be able to determine if, for example, someone at the enterprise was downloading a large video that was not coded for the proper service class at that exact time.
XO expects the new offering to be popular in the healthcare, education, professional services, retail and financial sectors. Such organizations, Hyman said, are interested in minimizing costs by moving functionality to the service provider cloud. A typical customer is expected to have multiple sites and to have between 50 and 1000 employees.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now