AT&T enhances cloud services
Synaptic Compute as a Service gains VPN connectivity; storage service offering gains mobile access
Several new cloud service capabilities announced by AT&T this week are based on the idea that “the cloud is an evolution of the network,” AT&T Vice President of Hosting and Cloud Services Steve Caniano told Connected Planet.
For example, enhancements to AT&T’s Synaptic Compute as a Service offering lets customers use an AT&T virtual private network to create what Caniano called a “virtual private cloud.”
Cloud services from some other cloud providers run over the Internet and communications services are simply used as an access link, Caniano said. But with the new AT&T offering, he said, “We’re talking about a tighter integration.”
Essentially, he said, “we’re trying to allow customers to extend a private cloud through the network—they can have what they need in their own data centers, but through the network can distribute [applications] to other locations for performance reasons or resiliency or to distribute the application.”
Storage service enhancements
Another new offering allows mobile users to move data to and from the AT&T Synaptic Storage as a Service cloud using mobile devices.
“Customers want to mobilize every application, whether it’s a mobile [sales] force or an [individual] mobile user or a partner base,” said Caniano.
In addition, AT&T announced that it has invited third party developers and vendors to create software or applications that build on AT&T’s Synaptic Storage as a Service capabilities.
“What we found with many customers is that more than buying infrastructure capabilities such as storage, they want to buy solutions,” Caniano said.
CommVault, for example, has integrated its technology so that a user can “dynamically direct data across our network into our cloud” to automate the data backup function, Caniano explained.
“Users can set policies with the backup solution they already use and have it dynamically routed across based on [conditions] such as ‘The data has aged 60 days,’” said Caniano.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now