Verizon moves to control $250 billion a year in healthcare industry losses
To combat a growing problem, the U.S. government and private health insurers are tapping Verizon’s automated platform to detect and prevent fraud.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, national health expenditures totaled $2.5 trillion in 2009. Fraud is at ten percent. Verizon Fraud Management for Healthcare is a new platform tailored to the health care industry that uses predictive modeling technology to examine health care payment requests. The platform routes potentially fraudulent claims to case managers for investigation, helping identify fraud before payments are made. This reduces improper payments and expensive "pay-and-chase" recovery operations.
Health care fraud impacts all Americans says Dr. Peter Tippett, vice president and chief medical information officer, Verizon Connected Healthcare Solutions, but now health insurers will be “better equipped to identify fraud and abuse and begin to turn the health care cost curve.”
This is a great example of a telco extending a core skill into another industry, even though predictive analytics is relatively new to telecom itself.
The Verizon fraud-detection solution, delivered from the cloud, employs a customized version of the software platform the company uses for its own fraud prevention programs. Internally, the platform processes more than 20 billion records a day, including more than 700 million call records. By extending this service to the healthcare industry, Verizon offers a comprehensive portfolio of managed, IT and consulting services that can improve health care access and delivery, while managing costs.
As long as Verizon also gets the billing right (CP: Verizon overbills Beth Israel Hospital – or companies are customers too), then the initiative is only to be applauded.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now