Wireline erosion muddies AT&T, Verizon picture
Both AT&T and Verizon met Wall Street expectations with their first-quarter earnings, and neither reported any distressing impact of a slowing economy, leading to a general consensus that both had posted strong quarters.
Craig Moffett, analyst for Sanford C. Bernstein, sees reason for concern at both companies, however, given the deterioration of wireline revenues. Even AT&T, which added 491,000 broadband customers in Q1 — up from 396,000 in Q4 despite a price increase — should be concerned that consumers cutting the cord now may not come back, he said. At Verizon, the bad news included anemic net DSL adds and extended to Verizon Business, where growth has slowed, at least for this quarter.
|Earnings per share||$0.74||$0.61|
|Wireless subscriber adds||1.3 million||1.5 million|
|Wireline access lines lost||1.16 million||920,000|
|Total broadband connections||14.6 million||8.5 million|
|Consumer broadband adds||491,000||266,000|
|Video service subscribers||*379,000||1.2 million|
|Net DSL adds||**||4000|
|Enterprise revenue growth||1.2%||0.4%|
|*AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS (does not include resale of DBS services)
**AT&T doesn't break down its individual service numbers
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now