CLOUDSHIELD JOINS P2P SHAPING PARADE
Even as Comcast and vendor Sandvine take heat for peer-to-peer traffic shaping, deep packet inspection vendor CloudShield debuted its own platform last week that leverages DPI for prioritizing P2P packets.
CloudShield's P2P solution rides on top of the CS-2000 content processing solution, the company's core DPI platform. The vendor touts the pure processing power of that platform, including the ability to operate at wire speeds of up to 10 Gb/s. That allows service providers to put CloudShield boxes even deeper in the network — specifically at network peering points — to provide an even greater control of the traffic heading down their networks, said Bill Scull, vice president of marketing for CloudShield.
“Our location on the network is a little bit different by virtue of the capabilities of our box,” said Scull. “It's the typical story of the tragedy of the commons: You take a public resource, and you get some users that are greedy about consumption. Carriers need some way to try to shape that traffic and maintain balance at peering points.”
Comcast has taken heat not only for shaping traffic but also for reportedly introducing spoof packets that can “fool” P2P services into stalling or shutting down connections.
CloudShield's approach is to “shape the traffic, not to spoof it,” said Scull, but he admits that any approach may draw a share of controversy in the current atmosphere. “I don't envy the carriers in this respect,” he said. “It's bound to be a political issue.”
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now