FCC traffic-shaping hearing set for Monday
BitTorrent blocking issues heat up, FCC takes up the cause in a public hearing
The Federal Communications Commission today released the agenda for a meeting Monday on peer-to-peer (P2P) networks and service provider traffic-shaping, with speakers from Comcast and Verizon taking up the carrier point of view.
The meeting, to be held at Harvard Law School in Boston, will include panels on policy and technology perspectives, as well as a technology demonstration led by Giles BianRosa, CEO of P2P content provider Vuze.
Tom Tauke, executive vice president of public affairs, policy and communications for Verizon, and David Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast, will participate in the policy panel. Representing the BitTorrent community will be executives from Vuze and BitTorrent. Various public policy experts and scholars will participate as well.
The meeting culminates the agency’s petition for rulemaking (PDF) to establish rules governing broadband provider network management practices, which was launched last fall.
Beginning last week, a variety of companies – including Comcast, AT&T and Verizon -- filed comments on the topic with the FCC. Final response comments are due next week.
Just yesterday, Comcast was hit with its second class-action suit for its traffic-shaping activities, as law firm Gilbert Randolph LLP filed suit, charging false advertising as related to the speed of its Internet service.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now