VON: Broadwing, XO merger rumored
BOSTON--Rumors that competitive service providers Broadwing Communications and XO Communications are about to announce a merger are whistling through the VON trade show.
A spokeswoman for Broadwing said the company does not comment on rumors, and an XO spokesman also declined to address the rumors.
According to multiple sources, however, the two sides have been talking about a merger and are on the verge of finalizing a deal.
While consolidation within the competitive service provider industry has become commonplace and rumors of further mergers are frequent, the Broadwing/XO hookup has many puzzled.
Both companies have been through their share of financial and competitive problems. XO was purchased out of bankruptcy by financier Carl Icahn and almost sold him its national landline business for $700 million last November, but the deal was opposed by some shareholders and eventually fell through. Broadwing’s complicated financial history includes being acquired by its major equipment provider, Corvis, for $91 million in 2003. Corvis founder David Huber stepped down as the company’s CEO earlier this year.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2014 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now