BT signs 21CN contracts with four vendors
BT has signed contracts with four of the equipment vendors it named as preferred suppliers to its 21st Century Network project: Ciena, Huawei Technologies, Lucent Technologies and Siemens.
BT named a total of eight preferred suppliers in April. Huawei and Fujitsu Network Communications were both chosen to provide multiservice access gear in what analysts say may be the largest contract. Alcatel, Cisco Systems and Siemens were chosen for metro IP routing and signaling. Cisco and Lucent were picked for core IP routing (with Lucent supplying gear from its partner, Juniper Networks). Ericsson was chosen as a softswitch supplier. And Ciena and Huawei were chosen to supply optical networking equipment, from Ethernet to long-haul transport. (According to a statement issued today by Ciena, BT will deploy its CoreDirector optical switch, its CoreStream multiplexer for long-haul transport and its CN 4200 for optical Ethernet transport.)
BT expects to conclude negotiations with the other four preferred vendors--Alcatel, FNC, Cisco and Ericsson--early next year, the company said today in a statement.
BT expects to spend up to ₤10 billion (about $17.4 billion U.S.) over the next five years building the network, replacing its legacy technology with next-generation equipment to reach 30 million customer lines. The value of individual vendor contracts, however, is unknown.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now