Zhone, Ascend cofounder Jeanette Symons dies
Jeanette Symons, the cofounder of Zhone Technologies and Ascend Communications, died in a plane crash Friday, according to news reports. The 46-year-old was an experienced pilot who regularly flew her own Cessna C525 for business travel.
Symons and her 10-year-old son Balan were returning to their home in Colorado Springs, Colo., from a ski trip in Maine. Heading into stormy weather, Symons radioed in an emergency a few minutes after takeoff. The plane went down in the woods south of Augusta State Airport, and the only two passengers were presumed dead.
Symons co-founded Ascend Communications, which was acquired by Lucent Technologies for $24 billion in 1999, marking the data networking sector’s largest merger.
The following year, she and her partner in that effort, Mory Ejabat, went on to co-found access networking equipment vendor Zhone Technologies, which Ejabat still leads as CEO.
In 2006, Symons went on to launch Industrious Kid, a start-up aimed at creating new and better online content for children.
Symons is survived by her seven-year-old daughter Jennie and two brothers.
Read more about Symons and join a discussion of her here.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now