Covad, MegaPath merge to create nationwide IP network/apps player
The two CLECs combine to create major national player focused on IP network and managed services capabilities
Covad Communications and MegaPath agreed to merge this afternoon, combining their network capabilities and managed services focus to deliver a full range of network, security and IP services to enterprises and other carriers nationwide.
The proposed merger requires regulatory approval, but the two companies claimed their combined operations would have one of the largest Ethernet, DSL and T1 delivery footprints in the U.S. – focusing on the SMB, enterprise and carrier wholesale markets, said D. Craig Young, MegaPath CEO and the new Executive Chairman of the combined businesses, in a statement announcing the deal.
Covad offers IP broadband services in more than 4,400 central offices nationwide through its commercial and wholesale distribution channels. Covad wholesale partners include leading providers such as AT&T, Verizon Business and Sprint. In recent it has been pushing hard to add value to the wholesale network business, adding nationwide MPLS service and carrier Ethernet services, among other offerings.
Meanwhile, MegaPath delivers value-added communication services, including hosted VoIP, managed security, MPLS VPNs for connecting multiple sites, and SSL VPNs for connecting remote users and business partners. MegaPath distributes its services via a large direct sales force and channel sales partnerships, and has over 19,000 direct SMB and enterprise customers. MegaPath has been driving new services lately as well, including enterprise and business offerings like bonded T1 and Ethernet-over-copper offerings as well as a focus on SMB solutions and bundles.
By combining MegaPath’s product and services focus with Covad’s national network, the clearly pair aim to deliver on the promise of using IP-based networks to delivery not only pure connectivity but services than can be consumed on a managed, or cloud-based basis.
More to come on this breaking story.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.
In this Webinar you will learn how to create a real-time relationship with your customers, how to proactively improve the customer experience, and how to successfully target and cross-sell services to boost incremental revenue.
- Megabytes to Megabucks, Bandwidth to Business Models: How 4G Is Changing Everything
- How to Unplug Your Redundant Telco Apps To Save Money and Improve Efficiency
- When IaaS Isn't Enough: Service Provider Business Models to Drive Growth and Build Margin
- How to Transform Your Aging Telco Voice Network to Drive New Profits and Revenue
- Creative Licensing Approaches for Telcos & Their Network Equipment Vendors
- Smart Home Opportunity: Balancing Customer Data & Privacy
This paper discusses the rise of Diameter and benefits of Diameter Protocol.
- Conducting The Orchestration – Order Management at the Speed of Business
- Toward a Converged Network Edge
- Beyond Spam – Email Security in the Age of Blended Threats
- 6 Important Steps to Evaluating a Web Filtering Solution
- The Expertise to Protect You from Botnet and DDoS Attacks
- Seeing is Believing – Bridging the Order Visibility Gap
Service providers are under tremendous pressure to turn up new services faster then before and, at the same time,
to do it at less expense - and intra-office fiber is one of the biggest challenges in terms of both cost and service
From the Blog
Join the Discussion
Get more out of Connected Planet by visiting our related resources below:
Connected Planet highlights the next generation of service providers, as well as how their customers use services in new ways.Subscribe Now